Adopting children is an amazing and wonderful thing to do, particularly when going through the foster care system for a Texas adoption. It can be difficult, time-consuming, and agonizing, but it is all worth it in the end when you are able to complete your family and provide a permanent, happy home for a child.
We provide services for:
- Children that may have a previous, existing relationship with the prospective adoptive family
- Children that may already be placed with a family, and are moving from a temporary placement to an adoption
- An adoptive family that is chosen as a match for placement of a specific child or children, after meeting requirements for an adoptive home
- Case Review: Our staff will review all information sent from DFPS and ensure that all information is shared with prospective parents. We will discuss the impact on placement of a special needs child, if necessary. A Health, Social, Educational, and Genetic History report will be provided and will include information regarding abuse or neglect, health history, social history, educational history, and family history.
- Pre-Placement Visits: We will arrange as many pre-placement visits as necessary, with a minimum of one initial, face-to-face visit, and a minimum of one overnight visit with the prospective parents.
After pre-placement visits and the case review is completed, we will move towards placement. Prior to this we will obtain an Adoptive Placement Agreement, which will include documentation that certain requirements have been met. These include:
- Home Screening: A pre-adoptive home screening evaluation.
- Household Members Background Check: Must be completed on all people over the age of 14 that will live in the home.
- Training for Adoptive Homes: Includes training on various topics, such as separation and attachment, importance of maintaining sibling contact as well as birth family contacts, and how neglect and abuse impact behavior and development.
After placement, we continue to provide services to families and children moving towards a goal of finalization.
- Supervising the Adoptive Placement: We ensure that the network providers make appropriate, and timely, contact with the family, and meet with them on a regular basis.
- Sibling Contact: We help facilitate, and ensure, that contact with siblings who have been placed in a different home or remain in foster care continues unless it is in violation of a court order, or not considered in the best interest of the child.
- Progress to Finalization: We will work with DFPS, the network provider, prospective parents, as well as the birth parents, if appropriate, to develop an Adoption Services Plan and move towards obtaining a final Adoption Decree.
Adopting children is an amazing and wonderful thing to do, particularly when going through the foster care system. It can be difficult, time-consuming, and agonizing, but it is all worth it in the end when you are able to complete your family and provide a permanent, happy home for a child. Contact us today if you are considering Texas adoption or foster care.